- Runs on Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- Works with Codex Device Manager and HDE on macOS.
- USB-C powered.
- 8 Gb/s connection speed when using USB-C (3A).
- Engineered and optimised to the highest performance standards.
What operating systems is the Compact Drive Reader compatible with?
The Compact Drive Reader can be used on Mac, Windows, and Linux.
What OS versions are required for Compact Drive Reader?
The minimum required OS versions to use the Compact Drive Reader are:
- macOS 10.14.4
- Windows 10
- CentOS 7
Is a driver or licence required for the Compact Drive Reader?
No, there is no driver or licence required for the Compact Drive Reader. It can be used as a “plug and play” device.
Can I use the Compact Drive and Reader with Device Manager and HDE?
Yes the Compact Drive and Reader can be used with Device Manager and HDE on macOS. (Device Manager and HDE is not available on Windows)
What is the connection speed of the Compact Drive Reader?
The connection speed of the Compact Drive Reader depends on the type of USB connection and on the power that is delivered by the host.
We recommend to connect the Reader directly to a USB-C port that is capable of providing the maximum current allowed by USB-C (3A). The Compact Drive Reader will then provide a connection speed of 8 Gb/s. A USB-A port can only provide 0.9A and the connection speed will be limited to around 180 Mb/s. The connection speed is indicated by the status light on the front of the Compact Drive.
- Blue: 3A from host, for performance ~1GB/s.
- Green: 1.5A from host, for performance ~550MB/s.
- Amber: 0.9A from host, for performance ~180MB/s. (In this case it is likely that the Compact Drive Reader is connected to a USB-A port.)
USB 2.0 ports should not be used as they provide only 0.5A, which will result in poor and unreliable performance.
What is the correct procedure to connect the Compact Drive Reader?
When using a Mac:
- Connect the Compact Drive Reader to the Mac host with the USB-C cable before booting the Mac, or
- If the Mac is already booted, connect the USB-C cable to the Compact Drive Reader first and then to the Mac host.
Connecting on Mac with either of the above methods will result in the Compact Drive Reader receiving 3A for best performance*.
If the cable is connected to the Mac host first, and then to the Compact Drive Reader second, it may only get 1.5A and have reduced performance.
*3A may not be available to the Compact Drive Reader if other bus powered devices are already attached to the Mac.
Can I use the Compact Drive Reader via a USB hub?
We do not recommend to use the Compact Drive Reader via a USB hub, as the power to the device is not guaranteed and this may result in reduced performance.
Can I use the Compact Drive Reader via a Thunderbolt 2 > Thunderbolt 3 adapter?
No, because Thunderbolt 2 > Thunderbolt 3 adapters do not pass USB signals and power in the required way. The Compact Drive Reader should be connected to either a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 port.
Can I use the Compact Drive Reader with a Mac Pro 2013 model?
The Compact Drive Reader can be used with a Mac Pro 2013 model in the following setups:
- Connected to a USB-A host port on the Mac Pro, using a USB-C to USB-A cable. In this case the performance will be limited to 180 MB/s.
Additionally the Compact Drive can be loaded into an Adapter to work in the Capture Drive Dock which connects to the Mac Pro via TB2. This is the highest performance option for offloading data from the Compact Drive to the Mac Pro with a maximum rate of 1400 MB/s.
The Compact Drive Reader cannot be used with a Mac Pro 2013 model in the following setups:
- Connected directly to an official Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter, which is then connected to a TB2 port on the Mac Pro. In this case the Compact Drive will not load at all.
- Connected to the loop through port of a TB3 peripheral or expansion device. In this case the Compact Drive will not stay loaded reliably and result in errors during the copy process.
|Operating System||macOS 10.14.4 / Windows 10 / Centos 7|
|Dimensions||122.5 x 71.5 x 24.5mm|
|Operating Temperature||-5°C ~ 40°C [25°F ~ 104°F]|
|Operating relative humidity||to 95% [non-condensing]|
|Storage Humidity||to 95% [non-condensing]|
|Insertion/removable durability||10,000 actions|
|Connection Speed||8 Gb/s using USB-C (3A)|
|Warranty||1 year limited warranty|